UPC code generator
What is a upc code
The UPC (Universal Product Code) is a barcode symbology widely used in North America, UK, Australia and New Zeland. barocde is composed of 12 digits and it’s similar to EAN 13. His main function is tracking trade items in stores.
The structure of the code is the following:
- The first digit is a variable code depends on the usage and the type of product, according to a table of values.
- The following 5 digits are meant to identify the manufacturer of the products.
- The other 5 digits identify the products or the goods of the same manufacturer.
- The last digit is the check digit automatically calculated from UPC code generator software.
How to generate UPC code
To generate the UPC barcode Labeljoy requires you to enter 11 digits.
Enter the 11 digits in the text box.
The 12th digit (or check digit) is automatically calculated.
To allow the use of UPC barcodes on smaller packages where a full 12-digit barcode may not fit, a ‘zero-compressed’ version of UPC was developed called UPC-E.
Activate the “Use UPC-E when possible” check box to instruct Labeljoy to try to apply the compressing algorithm.
The symbol will then be automatically converted to the smaller UPC-E version if the combination of digits allows it.
When an UPC-A barcode element is generated by concatenating fields or counters, the following rules apply:
- For the main barcode, only the first 11 digits found will be considered.
- For the add on, a dash (-) separator is required followed by 2 or 5 digits.
When a value not complying with the above rule is found, the barcode is not displayed.
UPC Barcodes for Your Products
UPC-A symbols may need to display the human readable digits is specific grouping. Use the Text style combo box to specify alternative ways to display the text:
UPC-A and UPC-E barcodes can also encode 2 or 5 additional digits. Enter the additional digits in the right text box:
The human readable text can also be shown above the symbol or hidden according to the setting specified in the Text combo box: