PDF417 is a stacked linear barcode symbol format used in a variety of applications, primarily transport, identification cards, and inventory management. PDF stands for Portable Data File. The PDF417 is represented by ISO standard 15438.*
There is no human readable text displayed with this type of symbology.
PDF417 symbols generated by Labeljoy can encode text in 3 different ways. Use the Encoding combo box to define the most appropriate encoding algorithm for the text you want to encode:
- (Mixed): default setting. Enables encoding of the data using a combination of all the following encoding modes based on the type of data found. Normally this setting produces the best results.
- Text: enables encoding of all of the 256 characters of the standard ASCII table. Produces the best results on numeric characters and ASCII values between 0 and 127.
- Numeric: enables encoding of numbers only.
|PDF417 encoding: Labeljoy can generate PDF417 symbols 0123456789|
|With Mixed encoding||With Text encoding|
The Error correction level combo box enables you to select between 9 different levels of recovery from symbol damage, 0 through 8.
PDF417 implements error correction to ensure readability on partially damaged symbols. The higher the error correction level, the larger the symbol size needed to encode the same data.
|PDF417 encoding: https://www.labeljoy.com/en/download-software-create-labels.html|
|With error correction level 0||With error correction level 8|
When a PDF417 barcode element is generated by concatenating fields or counters, the following rules apply:
- Text contents must comply with the selected encoding algorithm.
- Text length must not exceed maximum capacity.
When a value not complying with the above rules is found, the barcode is not displayed.
PDF417 symbols generated with Labeljoy do not support: Extended Channel Interpretation (ECI), and Structure Append (Macro PDF417) mode.
* From wikipedia.