UPC code barcode generator
What is a UPC code
The Universal Product Code (UPC) is a barcode symbology widely used in North America, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand for tracking commodities in stores. The barcode consists of 12 digits and is similar to the EAN 13.
The structure of the code is the following:
- The first digit is a variable code, depending on the usage and the type of product, according to a table of values.
- The following 5 digits identify the manufacturer of the products.
- The remaining 5 digits identify products or goods of the same manufacturer.
- The last digit is the check digit automatically calculated from UPC code generator software.
Generation of a UPC code
Labeljoy requires the input of 11 digits to generate the barcode..
Enter the 11 digits in the text box.
The 12th digit (or check digit) is calculated automatically.
To allow the use of UPC barcodes on smaller packages where a full 12-digit barcode may not fit, the “zero-compressed” UPC-E-version has been developed.
Activate the check box “Use UPC-E when possible” to instruct Labeljoy to apply the compressing algorithm.
The symbol will then be automatically converted to the smaller UPC-E version if the combination of digits allows it.
When an UPC-A barcode element is generated by concatenating fields or counters, the following rules apply:
- For the main barcode, only the first 11 digits found will be considered.
- For the add on, a dash (-) separator is required followed by 2 or 5 digits.
If a value is found that does not comply with the above rules, the barcode will not be displayed.
UPC Barcodes for Your Products
UPC-A symbols may need to display the visually readable digits as a specific grouping. Use the Text Style combo box to display alternative types of text appearance.
UPC-A and UPC-E barcodes can also encode 2 or 5 additional digits. Enter the additional digits in the right text box:
The visually readable text can also be displayed above the symbol or hidden, according to the setting specified in the Text combo box.