GS1-128 Barcode Generator
With Labeljoy you can easily generate GS1-128 barcodes.GS1-128 is an application standard of the GS1 implementation that uses the Code 128 Barcode specification.
GS1-128 uses Application Identifiers to include additional data such as expiration dates, batch number, quantity, weight and many other types of information.
Note: It is beyond the scope of this help file to explore all the details of the GS1-128 symbology specification. For more information please refer to the official web site of the GS1 authority: www.gs1.org
How to generate GS1-128 Barcodes
To generate a GS1-128 compliant barcode symbol with Labeljoy, you have to enter the text in a visually readable format. Labeljoy validates the text through its internal GS1-128 validation engine and generates the corresponding icon or displays an error message describing the problem.
For example, by entering the text (00)123456789012345678 Labeljoy will create a GS1-128 barcode symbol that will comply with Application Identifier (00) Serial Shipping Container Code (SSCC-18).
For further information please refer to the guide “Generating GS1-128 Barcodes“.
- Some AI’s (Application identifiers) require a modulo 10 check digit. When required, Labeljoy will compute the check digit regardless of what was the input.
- For example, the SSCC-18 code above needs a check digit in the last position which is actually 5 and not 8. In such scenario no error message will be displayed, instead Labeljoy will simply replace the check digit with the correct one.
- So if you do not know how to calculate the check digit, just enter any number.
- When two or more AI’s (Application Identifiers) need to be encoded in a single symbol, the GS1-128 specification may require one or more FNC1 separator characters. Labeljoy GS1-128 barcode generator will automatically detect where FNC1 separator characters are needed and will add them accordingly.
- No extra input is required by Labeljoy to correctly handle FNC1 separators.
- IMPORTANT: FNC1 separators have no corresponding visually readable text, they are only encoded as a barcode symbol. The interpretation of the FNC1 character may vary depending on the settings of the barcode scanner, although it is often output as ASCII character 29.
- If you need to create a custom symbol using the FNC1 separator character, please refer to the EAN-128 symbology.
GS1 Barcode Symbols
When an GS1-128 barcode element is generated by concatenating fields or counters, the following rules apply:
- Text length must not exceed 255 characters.
- The text must take into account the GS1-128 specification.
If a value is found that does not comply with the above rules, the barcode will not be displayed.
- Labeljoy requires the input of up to 255 characters of alphanumeric text to create the barcode. Enter the text in the text box.
- The visually readable text can be displayed or hidden below or above the icon , according to the settings specified in the Text combo box.
- The Check AI sequence check box enforces an additional GS1-128 rule that regulates the concatenation of certain AI’s.
- For example, when using AI 02 (Number of containers) the symbol should also encode AI 00 (Serial Shipping Container Code) and AI 37 (Number of Units Contained).
- Also, AI 02 should never be encoded in the same symbol with AI 01 (Shipping Container Code) and 8006 (Component of an Article) since they refer to data considered meaningless when mixed.
- Keep this check box activated to create GS1-128 symbols that fully comply with the original standard.